The public parts of my notebook.
- Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJdEqssNZ-U
- Start with an incredibly boring platform shooter and, with 30 tweaks to the animation and sound, make it really juicy.
- If you watch the talk, you'll see how Nijman has a very cool the-demo-lives-in-the-presentation approach, where he can swipe forwards and backwards through the versions in a super interactive, ad hoc way.
- A couple of other notes:
- If the shoot button is the only way the player can really interact with the world, you'd better make pressing it as significant as possible.
- If you have a button, like the shoot button, you should give the player a reason not to press it. For example, in the strafing demo, the character will keep on facing in the direction of shooting until you release the button.